Thursday 25 July 2013

Monsters University (Or, a Funny, Family Film Missing the Usual Pixar Charm)

As a big, big fan and admirer of Pixar, I always look forward to seeing their films. If you look at their record, almost every film released has gone on to become an instant classic (with the exception of Cars and Cars 2): Toy Story (all 3), A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Up, Monsters, Inc. The characters are instantly recognisable, and the ten minute beginning of Up is one of the most touching, moving explorations of a love story I have ever seen. So. Although I can't remember every detail of Monsters, Inc., I was excited to see Monsters University. However, it didn't live up to my expectations. Despite having many funny moments and interesting characters, it was lacking something, and I'm not sure what. 

The Best 5 Things About Monsters University
1) Blue Umbrella- One of my favourite parts of Pixar (apart from the graphics, characters and tone...woah, shall I start a Pixar fan page?) is the short films that come before each one. I think my favourite one is still 'For the Birds', which was shown before Monsters, Inc. (which I can remember better than actual Monsters, Inc). The short film for Monsters University is about a blue umbrella who falls in love with a red umbrella. It contained beautiful visuals, a great soundtrack, emotion, cuteness, and an interesting, slightly film noir style depiction of a  rainy, dark city street where the windows, pavements and drainage pipes have faces. My only quip was that it sometimes looked too real; I like to feel like I am watching an animation. Also, it felt slightly like an advert for a dating website you would see on the tube: 

2) Humour- Although I think the amount of laughter in the cinema was increased due to the intoxication of some of the audience (a late night showing in Camden, y'all), this was still a very funny film. From quirkiness (the monsters covered in paint, glitter and flowers) to surprises (the mum listening to hard core rock music), none of the humour felt cheesy or tired. This was one of my favourite moments:
Move, puny mortals. 

3) Dean Hardscrabble- Voiced by Helen Mirren, this character was SCARY. Like, Randall scary. Plus she looked a bit like a dragon, which is always cool. Incidentally, here is an interesting article from Buzzfeed showing the evolution of the characters: http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/monsters-university-dean-hardscrabble-change-gender

4) College- It was great to see this film contain elements of American college (and high school) films. The goths, the cheer leaders, the bullies; it had it all. Some of it was strangely relatable and surprising. There was also a giant slug librarian that reminded me of something from Harry Potter. 

5) Graphics- Beautiful, brilliant, massive thumbs up. The university landscape especially was fantastic. 

The Worst 5 Things About Monsters University
1) Lack of John Krasinski- First of all, as a big John Krasinski fan, I couldn't wait to hear his dulcet tones in this. But he was literally in it for under 2 minutes. Whaaaat? This is like Arrested Development Season 4 all over again, when I was expecting him to be a major new cameo, and instead got a 20 second cameo. I realise this isn't Pixar's fault, but come on! Everything needs more John Krasinski! Like this blog post.

3) Prequel- Unless the series is incredibly well known, I have my doubts about prequels. I think it takes away a strong sense of the intrigue and emotional attachment when you already know how the character's story is going to end. Yes, The Hobbit is excellent, but it kind of puts me off knowing Bilbo is going to become a ring obsessed, incredibly grumpy, frail old man. Also, where the f are the dwarfs when the race of men needs them? And that is a LORD OF THE RINGS prequel, one of my favourite films of all time. So, considering Monsters, Inc. was released twelve years ago, and is a film I can't remember very well at all, I wasn't particularly bothered how the two characters met at university. Plus, seen as at the end of Monsters, Inc. the screams are replaced by laughter, I kind of felt sorry for all the college students studying their little hearts out to become the best scarers. 
Also, although the magic of Pixar is that children and adults can enjoy their films (the 9pm showing last night was packed with drunk people, so there was A LOT of laughter), it is primarily released for children. Do children under twelve care about Monsters, Inc. more than me? The majority weren't even born when it came out! I just think a prequel for Toy Story, or The Incredibles would have been better. 

4) Lack of Plot / Depth- This is kind of leading on from the above point. The lack of emotional attachment and intrigue was multiplied by the fact I didn't think this film had all that much of a plot. Most of the time it seemed to jump between scenes. The 'Scarer Games' were the focal point (I think?), but I think they could have been focused on more. Although I do love any reference to The Hunger Games (have you seen the new trailer? Looks amazing). The plot also felt tired- was I seriously supposed to believe that they would lose the first round of  the 'Scarer Games' and it would never be mentioned again?

4) Annoying Characters- When the characters joined the 'lame' sorority, 'Oozma Kappa', I could forsee some irritating, unfunny underdog members. And I was right. Can you honestly tell me that all the characters here (except Sully and Mike) don't piss you off just from looking at them?
Maybe I'm just intolerant today, I'm sat on a very, very uncomfortable chair. 

5) Lack of Randall- Even I can remember this scary mofo. Welcome back Randall, stuff of nightmares. 
Randell terrified an entire generation of children, and he has become a cultural reference point for an ugly, scrawny, evil looking person ('That guy is basically Randall' 'She's such a bitch, and doesn't she look like Randall?') Randall has yet to have his dream girl make over into one of the creepiest cartoon characters of all time, and is slightly geeky in the film. However, he was a minor role, and I think his character development could have been a big focal point of the film. His whisper 'I will never lose to you again Sully' came to late and was lost amidst all the other character development taking place that I couldn't give a red, yellow, jacket wearing monster pig about (I'm trying to include a witty reference to the film, okay?)

There were a lot of positive points for this film, and it was a clever release because I'm sure DVD sales for Monsters, Inc. will fly through the roof. However, any sort of tension was missing in the plot and the heart-warming, heart-full-of-light-and-glitter I usually get when I see a Pixar film was missing. Still, a great family film and I'm sure kids will love it. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha! very good, loved the part about the 'annoying characters' they do just annoy you when you look at them.

    ReplyDelete