Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Or, Legolas is now a grumpy teenager)

Happy 2014 all! How better to kick it off (except by watching the first episode of season 3 of 'Sherlock') by talking about The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug? I was a big fan of this film. I still don't think it was as good as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, for two reasons. Firstly, the high frame rate. I'm not going to bitch about this through the whole review, but I still sometimes feel I'm watching a play station game. Secondly, I don't feel the same emotional connection to the characters (except Bilbo). However, it is still hugely entertaining and, in some parts, mesmerising. Here we go!

Better than the return of my beautiful blue-eyed elf 
1) Viewing experience- Plain and simple, this film is spectacular. The landscapes, the set, the choreography. Roger Ebert said that Peter Jackson 'is unafraid to use the entire screen...he paints in the corners'. This is certainly true- by making every square inch of the screen alive, Jackson manages to create another world. The following scenes captivated me.
  • Bilbo in the trees: Bilbo climbs up a tree and emerges into a scene of gentle sunlight, a carpet of autumn leaves and delicate blue birds, all the terror and gloom of the spider-infested forest below momentarily fades away. You share his relief, and can almost feel the fresh air and soft breeze. Beautiful. 
  • The barrel scene: Legolas hopping from barrel to barrel, arrows flying, dwarfs wielding axes, rushing currents- this scene was a joy to watch. The choreography of the fight in particular was superb, although all the action scenes were brilliant.  
  • Smaug: Can you depict a dragon better on the big screen? Very doubtful. 
  • The eye of Sauron- I thought the silhouette of the Necromancer (ei. Sauron) becoming the pupil of the eye was incredibly clever and well done.
2) Martin Freeman- The perfect Bilbo. A phenomenal actor. Freeman nails it time and time again, with his expression of constant bafflement slipping occasionally to reveal stubbornness and immense courage. The slow build up of Bilbo's obsession with the ring was also well done, which we know will lead to the scene which still haunts my nightmares...
Anyway, how much better in every way (except resisting the rings power, I guess) is Bilbo than Frodo? Seriously. Frodo, I don't miss you at all. 
The best, the worst.
3) Tauriel / Kili- Although the love triangle with Legolas felt rather forced, I thought the chemistry between Tauriel and Kili felt genuine (probably because he looks like an elf). However, I also loved both of them separately. Tauriel was a much needed strong and independent female character. Kili was adorable and very dashing. Which leads me on to...
4) The Dwarves- Okay, I still think the fact that Kili is supposed to be a dwarf is hilarious.
Rainn Wilson (Dwight from The Office) sums it up for me in this tweet:
However, at least Peter Jackson attempted to make the dwarves into recognisable individuals in this film. We have Thorin, the perpetually grumpy (and very dislikeable- see below) leader. Kili, the fan favourite. Fili, Kili's loyal brother. Balin, the old, loyal and kind grandfather of the group. The fat ginger one who can run fast and fights well. The half bald tough guy with the head tattoos. Gimli's dad! And....I still don't have a clue about the others. One mystery dwarf appeared outside the hidden door I swear I have never laid eyes on before (the one circled below). Ah well, 7/13 ain't bad?
Seriously, no idea.
5) Bard- An Aragorn type! Good looking, brooding, with the added bonus of looking a bit like a pirate. Great. 

Worse than being trapped in a room with only Thorin for company
1) Thorin in general- Seriously. What IS his problem? He is so unlikeable! So sullen, so proud, so mean to Bilbo. When Thorin wouldn't let Bilbo escape the dragon and instead nearly pushed him over the edge with his axe I wanted to punch him in the face. Aragorn had / will have way more problems than him (like being responsible for the fate of the world, not just daddy issues and a stupid mountain) and he was a joy to behold, always smiling and being generally lovely to everyone. Aragorn, I miss you. Thorin, I hate you. (I get this isn't Peter Jackson's fault- I assume Thorin is supposed to be like this). 
The best, the worst. 
2) The Forge scene- This film was very long, yes, but it never felt TOO long till the scene where the dwarves attempted to kill the dragon. Running from the dragon, running towards the dragon, running from the fire, running towards the fire, something to do with the forge, something to do with the steam, something to do with the melted gold...it all culminated in a very unimpressive and boring plan. How could a dragon, whose insides are filled with fire, be killed by heat? I blame Thorin. 
3) Gandalf's plan- Was what? Walk into a trap? Why?! (this may be rectified in the next film, fingers crossed).
4) Legolas- My baby! What was wrong with him in this film? He was very sullen and grumpy, always lurking in the shadows, with none of the gentle, wry personality we know and love. Maybe it is teenage angst? Don't worry Legolas, you will meet the love of your life soon, and you will be so happy together and pose dramatically for photos like below. 
Also, what was up with his eyes? My friend scoffed that 'it looks like he has cataracts'...and it sort of did? 
5) The hidden door scene- Moonlight was an obvious answer. I refuse to believe they would have travelled for months and nearly perished on many occasions to stand outside the hidden door for less than 5 minutes and then leave. The stubbornness of dwarves!

Overall, my qualms are small, and mainly not the fault of the film itself but my own personal preferences. I thought this was a brilliant sequel, and I can't wait for the next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment