Thursday 13 March 2014

The Originals Season 1 Episode 16: Farewell to Storyville (Or Farewell, Rebekah!)

For me, the strongest TV series focus on the relationships and bonds between family, whether blood relatives or other types of family, such as friends or work. 'The Sopranos' is a prime example of this, with both the Sopranos themselves and the deep sense of loyalty and friendship between the members of the mafia. Anyway, the complicated relationship dynamics between the Mikaelson siblings are the main reason I find 'The Originals' so compelling, and by putting them front and centre this week, I found 'Farewell to Storyville' the best episode to date. The result of placing three incredibly layered and complicated characters (played by truly fantastic and charismatic actors) into a confined space, and forcing them to talk through their centuries of issues, was fantastic. It was more like a piece of theatre than television. Let’s talk about ‘Farewell to Storyville’.

1)  Elijah- First of all, a shout out to the incredible Elijah. What a hero! A selfless, handsome, incredibly polite hero with a penchant for wearing fantastic, Chuck Bass level suits. This episode made me love him even more, from when he promised to defend Rebekah for ‘as long as it takes’, to when Rebekah said his flaw is that he ‘dedicates himself to everyone but himself’. I am getting intrigued about where the writers will take his character arc, though. He is so fiercely and confidently self-composed, I’m worried he might suddenly snap, and as well as murdering a bunch of innocent people, go back to the horrific hairstyle he had when he first entered ‘The Vampire Diaries’:
 #neverforget. 

2) Klaus- Oh, Klaus. There is no doubt he is one of the most interesting and tragic characters on TV. There is also no doubt that the reason he is almost irredeemably damaged is due to the years of horrific physical and emotional abuse he suffered at the hands of his father. However, he tried my patience this episode. I’m not even going to try and psychoanalyze his character, but I don’t think even he is so self-absorbed and deluded that he would think his behaviour towards Rebekah over the years, which is basically that of an abusive husband, is justified. As well as emotional terrorism, murdering everyone she fell in love with AND daggering her for over 90 years, he now apparently thinks he has the right to put her on trial for trying to retaliate over a hundred years ago. He was especially irritating when he was perched on top of the grave like an obnoxious monkey, dramatically shouting ‘You stand accused of treason against a sibling, how do you plead?’:
     I actually cheered when Rebekah said, 'I plead for you to shut up'. I don't fully understand Klaus's justification. Yes, it hurts him to learn that Rebekah summoned Mikael, but Elijah tried to kill him- literally had his hand in his chest, after conspiring to attack him at his weakest- less than TWO YEARS AGO. Has that been forgiven and forgotten? I also think that his relationship with Rebekah has always been odd- he is so psychopathically controlling of her, it borders on some sort of sexual or romantic feeling. This was emphasised when he accused Rebekah of wanting to leave him for ‘lust’ of Marcel. Eesh, Klaus. Can Caroline join 'The Originals', please? I think she would sort him out more than anyone else.

3) The Flashbacks- ‘The Originals’ is really going a long way to redeem the anti-climatic story arc of Mikael in ‘The Vampire Diaries’ (although I still can’t forget quite how laughable easy it was for Klaus to kill him). In last week’s episode and this week’s flashbacks, he seems a terrifying, violent man, more than capable of emotionally damaging his children. Also, cute British accents on the mini Originals!

4) The Graveyard Scene- As I said above, as a whole the scenes in the graveyard were more like a brilliant, introspective play. Getting my one quibble out the way, why did it suddenly skip to morning? What had Elijah and Klaus been talking about for 8 hours or more? I hate it when TV shows do that. But anyway, brilliant. The whole thing. Although poor Elijah! I really don't like that creepy witch dagger. Also, I really think it would be better for everyone if they just destroyed that white oak stake.

5)     The Final Act- Klaus and Rebekah’s final conversation had me in tears. At first I was disappointed with their conclusion that they were too damaged to remain together, but after some thought it is probably true. All the siblings are damaged and broken due to their father, as Rebekah pointed out; Klaus has anger and paranoia (an understatement), Rebekah has a fear of abandonment, and Elijah will never put himself first. Unless Klaus forces himself to admit his behaviour towards Rebekah has been horrific and unjustified, they will never be able to truly work out their issues. However, I like the moment of tortured peace that was reached when Klaus quietly said regarding Mikael, ‘I can’t help but wonder if his father ruined him’. I also think Klaus exiling (or freeing) Rebekah was the nicest thing he could have done for he, and suggests what Rebekah and Elijah both think- he can yet be redeemed, most probably through his relationship with his baby.

6) Marcel- I love Marcel, from the way he is thoughtful enough to buy Davina scented candles and incense, to his beautiful, radiant, sunshine smile:
   But was it me, or did he not really seem to give a toss that Rebekah was on the verge of getting killed for more than 24 hours? He was just ambling around town, with no real sense of urgency or emotion.

7) Rebekah’s goodbye- Although I didn’t see it coming, it does make sense from a character perspective that Rebekah is leaving. She never wanted to stay in New Orleans, and since her first arrival into ‘The Vampire Diaries’ she has always desired what she reiterated to Klaus this week- a home, a family, someone to love her, and to live. After a heartfelt goodbye with Elijah, Hayley (eurgh), and Marcel, she drove off into the night in her red convertible, an ecstatic and tearful smile on her face. Is she driving to Matt?! Fingers crossed. Bye Rebekah, I'll miss you!

I'm not sure where this leaves the series in terms of strong female characters- Davina is great but still very young, Cami is slowly growing on me but still fairly dull, and I never got Hayley- I don't know if I just don't understand Phoebe Tonkin's acting style, but she always seems incredibly wooden and emotionless to me. Also, can the show work with only TWO Originals? Will they bring Kol back? That could be interesting. I have faith in the writers, producers and actors on this show, so I'm sure whatever is coming up next will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment